Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Welcome To Our New Blog!

Hi Room 14 Families,

Welcome to our new blog spot.  I will try my hardest to keep this updated, but this is new for me...so please be patient.  Your students have been working very hard already...many of you saw the fruits of their labor at Back to School Night.  If you weren't able to make it, feel free to stop by and check out or classroom.

Right now, we are finishing up our unit: Taking A Stand.  We have been thinking, reading, writing and creating all about this theme.  If you want to extend their learning, you might discuss how you have taken a stand, or about people you look up to who have taken a stand in some way.  This unit has been fun and has also allowed me to see some really deep thinking on the part of your kids.

We have started mixing:  Life Science with me, Physical Science with Brandon, and Earth Science with Margot.  I recently took a trip to the California Science Center to see the Endeavor. Although it was my third time seeing it, it was just as interesting as the first time.  If you are looking for a great day out, and a way to connect to our Earth Science curriculum, you might want to check it out too.

Everyday Math has been both challenging and fun for most of the kids.  I will try to get you your online pass to the Student Reference Book by next week so that you and your kids can go online when there is a misunderstanding.  In addition, this week, I sent out extra math packets tailored to challenge your student at their math level.  The kids have two weeks to complete these packets.

Upcoming field trips:

Astro Camp:  Oct. 2-4
Griffith Observatory:  Oct. 23

Next Book Report:  Historical Fiction, book due in class:  Oct. 16

Well, I guess that it it!  I will try to post projects on this blog, but as far as daily homework is concerned, your child has their planner, and we have worked really hard on keeping them complete and up to date. This helps them take responsibility for their own homework.





2 comments: